Saturday, October 28, 2006

Everything except Mass was cancelled due to snow - FEBRUARY 19, 2006

I arrived back from my scheduled vacation late last Friday afternoon. As usual there was a mountain of mail to read and a litany of phone calls to return. Then Sunday’s snow arrived and I had a different kind of a vacation. I called it an “enforced vacation”. With the snow everything, except Mass was cancelled. I really enjoyed settling into the quiet and the peace of the day. Every once in a while I would look out my window and see the snow swirling around in the wind. The phone and the doorbell were quiet. A little nap followed by reading the Sunday paper with a cup of tea was in order. Finally I worked up the energy to attend to my cluttered desk. In late afternoon I prayed, caught up on the forecast from the Weather Channel and started to think about dinner. Father Matt came by and we had a leisurely dinner with no meeting to run off too.
In our busy lives days like last Sunday are so much needed. We spend so much of our lives trying to keep pace. Every once in a while a weather event reminds us that God is in charge of our lives and not us. It is a joy to give up control and to letGod be God. A pleasant Sabbath was had by all.

Fr. Bob Hawkins, FEBRUARY 19, 2006

No comments: