Saturday, February 24, 2007

We minister best when we are in touch, FEBRUARY 24, 2007


There is a powerful story told about Damien the Leper who brought the Gospel from Belgium to the Hawaiian Islands. In his early days as a missionary he would often say, “you lepers” as he addressed the infirmed. Then one day as he was bathing he noticed no feeling in his legs. He realized he too had contracted leprosy and so from then on always said, “we lepers.” He now could better identify with their pain and situation. Dealing now with the loss of my mother I know I will now be even more sensitive to those who grieve significant losses in their lives. We minister best when we are in touch with our own wounds and losses. I give thanks to God for having a mother filled with wisdom, integrity, warmth, humor and above all faith. My family is indeed blessed. Please remember my dad in your prayers. His care of my mother
in her long battle with Alzheimer’s has been nothing short of heroic.

Fr. Bob Hawkins- FEBRUARY 24, 2007

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Father Bob,
I am so sorry to be reading that your mom passed away. I wish I could have been there for you.

May God continue to bless you,
Linda M
From St. Kevin's Parish